February 9, 2021 in CUSTOMER ADVISORY
Customer Advisory: Freezing Conditions Causing Rail Delays in North America
February 9, 2021
Please be advised that the U.S. Midwest rail network is experiencing significant delays and capacity constraints due to lower than average picks and winter weather conditions, including snow and frigid temperatures.
- Due to frigid temperatures throughout the Midwest and Plains, trains between the Westcoast and Chicago are experiencing 48 – 72 hour delays.
- Chicago-area traffic waiting for space to become available should expect transit delays of 48 – 72 hours throughout this week.
- Elevated yard inventories, coupled with high volumes, are resulting in delays for both inbound and outbound units.
- Today, Chicago rail terminals reported the temperatures at 3°F with a wind chill of -10, and they received 2-5 inches of snow yesterday.
- Maintenance teams are servicing frozen switches, and snow removal crews are onsite.
- Crews are forced to take warming breaks, and additional safety and cold weather restrictions are in place.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your APL Logistics Account Manager or local APL Logistics office.
About APL Logistics
APL Logistics is the go-to global supply chain specialist for companies in the Automotive, Consumer, Industrials, and Retail sectors. The APL Logistics group of companies has a global network covering all major markets and is backed by a multinational workforce of over 6,800 people. APL Logistics Ltd is a member of the Kintetsu World Express group, a global logistics services provider. For more information, www.apllogistics.com or email us at email@example.com and connect with us on LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.